One day, my friend asked me:
- What is a good website?
- What makes a website good?
- What should a good website have?
That kind of questions has a similar meaning. What I got is, how to make a perfect website?
For some companies, perfection is a must. Yes, there are many things that need to be cover. Such as content, design, functionality, usability, responsiveness, performance, search engine, social media, and many more. Well, the conclusion is, to make a perfect website, it a possible thing.
- Have you heard content is a king and design is a queen? I heard that when I was a kid. That is true. Your content is the primary thing. People are looking for your content, no matter how ugly or old your design is. That is the most important one.
- Make your design simple. Make it focus on your content. Choose the right color scheme with three or four colors that match your content. I would love to pick a flat design personally. A flat design could adapt to many devices or screen sizes easily.
- Choose the right fonts that match your theme. Two fonts are maximum. That would be heavy to load if more than two. Regular and bold with italic style are required. The others are unnecessary.
- Pick the icons that just what you need. Fonts and SVG are good. Try to avoid using PNG files.
- Put the images with the right sizes. Example, don't load the image with Full HD resolution to put it in mobile. Don't forget to compress them.
- Combine all CSS and JS files into one and compress them.
- Put and fill some meta tag on every page. Such as Open Graph, etc. It is useful for Social Media.
- Write a good description for each page with few or enough characters.
- Put an illustrational image for each page with a good resolution such as 1200 x 630 pixels.
- Put some social sharing buttons on each page.
- Make a good SEO friendly URL for each page. It is related to the title of the page. Example, avoid using /cat/page/this-is-article if a user goes to /cat/page they will get not found. /this-is-article is better. Keep it simple and clear.
- Make the search engine recognize your site. Such as putting Google Analytics scripts on every page, or etc.
- Take concern about the performance of your site. Especially in the Back-End. SQL query, logic in programming, cache, and many more.
That is all. Maybe, there is something still unclear in technical. I tried to make it simple. One day, if there is a new way improved, I will update this article too. Let's bookmark it.